Monday, June 30, 2014

Post 2: Digital Native or Digital Immigrant?

Although I do not think of myself as solely a digital native nor a digital immigrant, I would say that I do have elements of both personas. Since I was born before the age of tablets and the emergence of social media, I see myself as more of a digital immigrant. When I was younger, I was used to writing letters to family members rather than sending an email and those who were fortunate to own a computer in elementary school were the ones who typed their papers as compared to the rest of the class who hand wrote their book reports. However as time progressed, many students in high school had cell phones with internet access, Ipods to listen to music,and laptops to create Powerpoint presentations. As the years pass, I am continuously observing the updates to today's current technology. There is always a new, updated version of a digital device or an upgrade on a computer program to make it run faster.

As a teacher, I believe that technology is important to integrate in the classroom. It is important to find ways to engage our students so that they are learning for themselves instead of just trying to absorb information. Although I have not yet implemented technology to the extent that I would my students to be exposed to, I believe that this course will help me to give my digital native students the technological support for learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment